I am so excited to be writing this today. I haven’t been able to write in a while due to our house being hit again and again with sickness and planning and celebrating my sons first birthday.
I have been reading a lot this summer about personal development, personal growth, and self-care. In all the books and podcasts I’ve been devouring, I’ve noticed a trend of 5 key foundations that are mentioned time and time again. These 5 things are key for self-care. Without having these in place, we don’t feel our bests and aren’t able to be as present or productive in our daily lives.
- Hydrate Yourself – We need to be drinking LOTS of water every single day. To get your magic number take your body weight and divide in half. Add the word ounces on the end. That’s how much water you need. If it’s extremely hot or you are doing some intense physical exercise, drink more.
- Eat Real Food – Nourishing our bodies with healthy real foods helps our bodies function at their best. Make fruits and vegetables a staple at every meal. Your body will thank you.
- Move Your Body Every Day – This one is the one that seemed the hardest for me. Until I really started listening. No one is suggesting you do an intense CrossFit exercise class or a 10 mile run daily. If that’s your thing, great. But, if we can find time to move our bodies for thirty minutes each day it will give us more energy, we will sleep better, we will feel better about our appearance and it will improve our moods. This can look like being intentional about running around outside with your kids in the afternoon, taking a family walk after dinner or having 3 ten minutes dance parties in your living room throughout the day. Make it work for your family and your schedule.
- SLEEP. Make sleep a priority. Aim for 8 hours a night. Start winding down about an hour or so before bed, limit caffeine after 2 PM, and stop all screens at least one hour before you want to be asleep. We cannot feel our bests if we are exhausted.
- Community – As humans, we are a social species. We need to feel accepted, understood and welcome. Find your community of people and make it a priority to spend time with them. Trade off with your spouse and go out with your friends once a week. Let him (or her) go out with their friends on a different night. If you’re a stay at home mom invite your friends over for a playdate. Go to the park. Join a church group. Sign up for that art class. Do something. Meet people. Cultivate your community.
As you read through the list above I imaging one or two stand out as an area you could improve in. Pick one. Start today. What tangible action can you put in place now to improve in one of these areas? Do it! I believe in you.
You deserve love and the time it takes to love yourself well. Make self care a priority in your life.
The Self Care Lady
P.S. – If you’d like to work with me one on one and live in the state of Oklahoma or outside of the United States, I’ve recently signed up to work with clients on better help. Check out my page here and sign up today! I’ll help you make self-care a priority in your life and tackle any barriers that are keeping you from achieving the life of your dreams.