Hey There Mamas!
I know for me the winter months are some of the hardest for my mental health. It’s cold, dark and we don’t get nearly as much time outside. I’m also learning that my little one gets pretty restless and doesn’t sleep as well when he doesn’t have that time outside to play each day. Here where I live it seems we have skipped fall and gone straight into winter, so I felt this topic pulling at me this week. So without further adieu, here are some ideas for ways to incorporate self-care in the winter months.
- Open the blinds, curtains, etc. Let in some of that natural light. Try to get as much natural light exposure during the day as possible. If it’s not too cold, bundle up yourself and the kids and get outside for a bit! Even if it’s just a walk around the block in the stroller. We still need sunlight, even when it’s cold!
- Snuggle up with a good book, a cozy blanket, and some coffee/hot chocolate/tea. If books aren’t your thing, replace it with some Netflix, journaling or another creative project. Enjoy the cold weather by taking some time to be still and snuggly. Alternative idea: get cozy blankets and warm drinks for the family and snuggle together and watch a movie.
- Don’t forget to exercise. This is something I struggle with when it is cold. My favorite way to exercise is by taking a walk or a jog outside and when it gets cold I have a hard time keeping up with that. Some ideas for indoor exercise: go to the gym, do a yoga video at your house, have a dance party in your living room, join a local dance/yoga/cycling class and go weekly.
- Have friends over for a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly gathering. It can be easy to shut ourselves off from the world when it’s cold. If you’re anything like me, you tend to stay in more and avoid going out in the cold. So invite people in! Perhaps you and your friends could take turns hosting at each other’s homes. Make space for community in your life.
- Spend some time decluttering your house! You’re already spending more time inside, take some time to make it a place you want to be! For me, when I have space decluttered it’s much easier to keep clean and I feel more relaxed in the space. It helps me enjoy my home and feel less stressed.
Let’s make the winter months a time of peace, calm and self-care!
Remember, you are worthy of love and the time it takes to love yourself well!
The Self Care Lady